ME, IN THE MIRROR

I looked in the mirror
I didn't like what stood before me
Didn't I just smile
What about that seeming hearty laughter to that silly joke

The mirror showed my insides
My heart bled
My heart looked at me
And bowing down, smiled

It looked pale
Far from the happiness my lips exhibits
It looked dark, reddish and grey
From all the unspoken pain it harbours

I couldn't believe it
All the people I met today
Would think I'm so happy
And healthy

Yet, here I stand
The mirror exposing my sorrows

Maybe the mirror is my truest friend
He knows me, inside out
My sorrows and otherwise
Yet, here it is, standing by me
Telling me that my feelings are valid

If I showed you
My dark side
Would you stay

If I was rough towards you because I felt rough and broken
Would you stay

Maybe you'd just think me arrogant

Would you listen to my whinings
Without complaining

How can I show love
When I can't feel love
I can't give what
I don't have

The world isn't perfect
Make room for imperfections and insecurities
For that's all that we are

Please, ask me how I am doing
And brace yourself for an honest answer

              YUSSIF AHMED IBN YUSSIF
               ahmed.yussiph@gmail.com





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PERPETUITY

QUENCHING THE DESIRE TO DRINK; SAVE THAT PREGNANCY

PRICKLY PRIDE